Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Maths? Fun? Who'd Have Thought?


One of Mr 4's favourite things to do is cook up a storm (with a little help from me of course). He seems to have a very mathematical mind, and is drawn to any activity that involves substantial measuring, weighing or problem solving, so it wasn't a surprise that he was at my side in a flash today when I suggested we make ANZAC biscuits.


After washing hands and pulling up his stepping stool, Mr 4 measured out the ingredients as I read the steps of the recipe aloud. There were several taste tests of the golden syrup of course, just to ensure we were using quality ingredients! ;o) I observed how particular Mr 4 was with his measuring, how important it was to him to have each spoon and cup full perfectly level.


As we waited for our biscuits to bake, I thought about the way he memorises our local bus routes. His memory of numbers is quite amazing. He knows which number buses will take us to the city, and can spot the bus we catch most often (to the local shopping centre) from such a long distance- often he alerts me to get my ticket ready.


I also thought about the intensity he has when he is counting or organising his toys, whether by colour, size or shape. He sometimes creates ''trains'' out of Magnetix (magnetic ball and cylinder construction toys) spanning the toy room floor, matching the colours, and even going on to match figurines to the trains as passengers, according to the most dominant colour on their clothing!


A couple of days ago, he made a great castle from foam blocks- I'll attach a picture of it. I thought it was interesting that he worked out the friction between the blocks would hold the shapes in place, so he didn't limit himself by only stacking square or rectangular blocks. Curved and triangular blocks were all incorporated. Note the ordering of colour, in usual Mr 4 style!


I never thought I was interested in mathematics or science, but I'm learning that I just wasn't interested in school's version! I actually am interested, when it's at my own pace and I am learning in ways that are stimulating and intriguing. When I first observed Mr 4's interest in maths, I had a moment of fear and thought ''How on Earth can I facilitate his learning of something I am hopeless at, and find utterly boring.'' But I now realise, I am not the one who failed maths. If anything, school failed, and continues to fail me and millions of other children. Maths in the real world is different, and dare I say it, fun :) It's ok that I don't remember much of what I learned in maths class at school. It doesn't mean I am ill-equipped for this journey, there is no rule that says parents should know everything. I'm re-learning (or actually learning this time, rather than simply memorising short-term) alongside my children and I'm actually enjoying it.


Blogmum.

2 comments:

  1. You make really insightful observations, and Mr 4 is a fascinating student. Wouldn't you love to know what he's thinking while he's measuring and building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maths in school really is a whole different animal, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete